FUNDAMENTALS OF SCREENPRINTING
In this 6-session course you will learn the basics of processing an image and executing a silkscreen print in a casual studio setting. All experience levels are welcome and accommodated. The course provides a solid foundation of knowledge and guidance to produce a layered silkscreen print. Experienced printers are encouraged to expand their practice and explore the possibilities of the medium. Once the course is complete, printers are welcome to access the shop with confidence during AIR Open Studio hours (M,T,TH,F 5-9 pm).
Classes are maximum six participants for personalized instruction by Teaching Artist Matt George.
Content for printing
Participants are encouraged to send an image they would like to work with at least one week prior to the start of class.
Send images to firstname.lastname@example.org with Subject Line: Silkscreen Class Image.
If you have any questions about choosing an image, contact the info account and we’d be happy to help you prior to class.
- Students will create a 1 to 4 color print using their desired image
- Basic Photoshop image manipulation and prep for screen-printing
- Drawing and transfer methods to get from image to screen
- Photo screen processing (exposures and prep)
- Registration and set up for multiple color printing
- Ink mixing and manipulation (transparency, modifiers, etc)
- Printing, Clean-up and screen maintenance (reclaiming)
- In addition to providing technical information and creative insight, for many this course is an excellent way to become oriented to studio procedures and the culture of Artists Image Resource. Students frequently retake the course to develop their ideas further, move on to become patrons of our Open Studio program, and/or become collaborators in the ongoing experiment that is the Artists Image Resource print lab.
Any questions, concerns or just want to talk about your print vision? Reach out to us via email at email@example.com or stop by during Open Studio!
Register for January Classes here
Classes held on Wednesdays: JANUARY 9, 16, 23, 30 February 6, 13th
Register for March Classes here
Class held on Wednesdays: MARCH 6, 13, 20, 27 APRIL 3 10
Register for May Classes here
Class held on Wednesdays: MAY 1, 8, 15, 22, 29 JUNE 5
Register for June Classes here
Class held on Wednesdays: JUNE 12, 19, 26 JULY 3, 10, 17
Register for August Classes here
Class held on Wednesdays: AUGUST 7, 14, 21, 28 SEPTEMBER 4, 11